Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) programme provides free tax preparation assistance to taxpayers who typically earn $60,000 or less, those with disabilities, the elderly, and those who speak little English. For eligible individuals, basic income tax forms are prepared free of charge and electronically filed by volunteers with IRS certification.
Community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, malls, and other convenient places offer assistance.
Many employees who qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Child Tax Credit (CTC) are uncomfortable completing their own tax returns. Commercial tax preparers, on the other hand, charge a lot of money to complete returns and provide services that would otherwise be free at a VITA facility. A free option is available to those who qualify for the EITC and CTC; they can have their returns prepared and filed at a VITA location.
The VITA/TCE sites are run by IRS partners and staffed by volunteers who want to make a difference in their communities, even though the IRS controls the VITA and TCE programmes. Tax counseling is frequently provided by IRS-certified volunteers who are retired individuals associated with charitable organizations that get financing from the IRS.
In order to qualify for this program, you must meet one of the below criterias.
- Earn a moderate income;
- A disability;
- speak English poorly;
- Have senior status.
Along with VITA, the TCE program provides free tax assistance, focusing on queries about pensions and retirement-related issues relevant to seniors and especially for people who are 60 years of age and older.
Eligible candidates can leverage the following benefits from VITA:
- In addition to being free, VITA/TCE programmes are a trustworthy and dependable resource for tax return preparation.
- All VITA/TCE volunteers who prepare returns are required to complete and pass IRS-compliant tax law training. Maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of all taxpayer information is part of this training.
- The IRS mandates a quality review check for every return prepared at a VITA/TCE facility prior to filing, in addition to asking volunteers to certify their familiarity with the relevant tax laws.
- Millions of federal and state returns are prepared by tens of thousands of committed VITA/TCE volunteers each filing season.
- Also, they help prepare thousands of returns for Facilitated Self-Assistance on behalf of taxpayers.
No application is needed to use this service. Visit the Free Tax Return Preparation for Qualified Taxpayers page or dial 1-800-906-9887 for details on volunteering or the locations of the tax aid centers.